Friday, February 10, 2006

Did I Just Say That?

What a week. I think the job search, the mental energy spent on figuring out which direction to go, the sleep I have been losing, the thoughts on how to cope with my dad seemingly giving up on his life...all that took its toll. I very rarely get sick. Maybe it's because my immune system was built up as a teacher, maybe it's because I often meditate on healing scriptures, probably both. Hope I don't gross you out on this one, but I have only thrown up once since 1987, and that was a week after my knee surgery when I had a flu bug, pain medicine side effects, and muscle relaxants that hindered my resistance. I had a four-year streak of not having any cold, flu, or virus, which lasted from May of 2000 to August of 2004. The streak ended when I worked 20, 12+ hour days in a row and wore myself down so much I got strep throat, bronchitis, and a sinus infection at the same time. That was the last time I had been sick, until this week. The past three days have been awful (sinus congestion, raw throat, headache, no energy). It's one of those situations where you can't get comfortable whether you are horizontal or vertical. I have continued to try to send out resumes and got a reply yesterday. I called the doctor and got an antibiotic because an interview was scheduled for today. I have had two previous interviews but they were with IT consulting companies - more of a "get to know you so that if we find a client whose needs fit your abilities we will call you" type thing. The one today was for a real position (full time and all - not contractual or as a consultant).

The interview went VERY well, but it wore me out. Trying to act like you feel fine when you feel terrible is not easy. I got home and changed clothes and proceeded to "veg" a bit to let my mind and body wind down. I should NOT have dropped my guard. The phone rang. I answered it and it was the man I had interviewed with. I said, "Hey!" - the kind of greeting that you give when you want to appear as if you are happy to hear from the person but you haven't quite figured out who he or she is yet. The guy proceeded to tell me that he and the president of the company want to talk to me over lunch. We set it up for 11:45 on Monday and he asked if I knew how to get there. I said yes and hoped the call would end there because I could tell I still wasn't alert enough for a conversation of this gravity. Here is what was said next:


Him: Great! I really look forward to speaking with you more. Oh, and you don't have to wear a suit this time.

Me: Okay, thanks for letting me know. I've heard the food there is very good, so in order to plan ahead for it I think I'll wear my stretchy pants.

(Me thinking): NOOOO WAAAAY!!! Did I just say that? Is this a dream? Maybe he never saw that episode of Friends. Should I explain that it was a joke and that I was referring to my black Adidas jogging pants and not "real" dress pants that are stretchy?

Him: (laughing) Great! I'll wear my stretchy pants too!

Me: Um, okay then (uh oh, what if he really does). See you Monday!


I HATE it when my mind isn't alert enough to warn me before saying these types of things. Fortunately the guy I interviewed with has a great sense of humor. I can probably count the times I said something similar to this on one hand. It doesn't happen much. I remember once in high school I asked a teacher when she was due and she wasn't pregnant.

Oops.

What are some things that you have let slip that you wish you hadn't?

2 Comments:

At 2/10/2006, Blogger Fred said...

Good luck on Monday! As for letting things slip, I've have my share. I just can't name one that really stands out. Which, I guess, is a good thing.

 
At 2/10/2006, Blogger Mandy said...

I've been sick today, too. Just awful. Hope you feel better.
I'm still chuckling from your story. Sounds like the guy interviewing you is awesome! Real.
May you be favored by the Lord, and He make a way for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter