Tuesday, January 31, 2006

You Are Unique - Part 2

Have you ever taken a personality test? I took one about a year ago and found it to be quite interesting. I had never really learned about the four personality types but found it very helpful to know the strengths and weaknesses of each. I don't know about you, but within the group of people who I call my friends there are those who just annoy each other and cannot get along. To me it makes no sense because I see the good in them, but they just don't understand each other. Learning more about personalities made me see why. I ended up in the "E" type...the type that is pretty much equal in everything. I guess I was 27% driver, 25% each in expressive and amiable, and 23% analytical (By the way, I wear a tie once or twice a year - definitely a jeans and T-shirt type person). Being a little of everything is a double-edged sword. I display strengths from the four main types, but find that I have weaknesses from all types as well. I think the best thing it did for me was help me understand my own tendencies and learn how to better interact with others. I learned what kinds of things irritate and what things to focus on in conversation. It also helped me understand my wife better (and vice versa). Interestingly enough, knowing personality types and being able to recognize them can make or break you in an interview, so that is why I am reviewing them.

I guess because I am a little bit of all four types, I don't often find myself conflicting with others, and I am confident others would agree. I like interacting with all of them. For me, the types of things that irritate me most are when someone puts a person down, makes fun of them, gossips, and so forth. I like to side with the underdog, focus on the good in people, and be encouraging.

Check out the links below - they are very interesting. The last link is a test that will help determine which type you may be (don't worry, it's not a test you can fail). It is yet another example of the way God made each and every one of us unique. We can work to improve our weaknesses without destroying our individuality. I'll bet it annoys God when we compare ourselves to others or try to be someone who we just weren't made to be. What type(s) do you most fit into? What do you feel is your biggest strength/weakness?

http://www.peterursbender.com/quiz/swtable.html
http://www.peterursbender.com/articles/difficult.html
http://www.3m.com/.../pmag_personality_types.html
(pdf)http://www.performance-am.com/PDF/...Rapport.pdf

Here's the test:
http://www.yourlearningcurve.co.uk/Newsletter/LM01.htm

3 Comments:

At 2/01/2006, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

According to the test, I was 40% expressive, 30% each in amiable and driver, and 0% analytical.

So I guess I am an EXPRESSIVE type (High Responsiveness, High Assertiveness). Interesting!

Hey Mark, have you done the DISC and Meyers Brigg personality tests?

 
At 2/02/2006, Blogger Mark D said...

Hi Kitty!

Many creative, artistic people are expressive, so your result doesn't surprise me. Although, remind me not to have you do my taxes - what's up with the zero??? (ha ha just kiddin' around)

Never taken either the DISC or MB...but would like to sometime.

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

haha I can't even do my own taxes, let alone yours LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter