Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Looking forward...

First of all, Happy New Year!!!! My whole extended weekend was very busy with trying to get progress made on a couple house projects, so that's why I am just now acknowledging the new year.

Resolutions for 2006? Well, I am not really into making new year resolutions. I don't think I have in four years. The main reason is that I am constantly looking for ways to grow and improve in whatever area of my life, so I guess the first of the year really isn't special in that way. However, I do feel that sharing goals with others is good because it makes you accountable. So, if I had one goal that I WANT you to hold me accountable to, it would be the following:

The problem: To make a long story very short, in 1999 I tore up my knee in a softball game and had to have reconstructive surgery (to repair the ACL and take out cartilage). When it happened, my knee bent backwards and the drop in support caused my SI joint (where the pelvis and tailbone meet) to jam up. It bothered me long after my knee had completely healed. Because of the pain I ended up sitting off kilter at work, which apparently aggravated my back and gave me a couple bulging discs. The doctor showed them to me and told me they could rupture at any time. This past year I have become skeptical of that diagnosis (or at least his advice to be careful with it) and have been reading more about treating bulging discs with stretches and movement.

The result: In the past two years I have gained about 60 pounds due to lack of activity yet eating like I was still very active. Not only am I not happy with the way I look from a confidence standpoint, I can tell that it makes me "drag" physically. I am in the worst shape of my life. I want to be in tip-top health when the baby is born, so I must start now to get the weight off and get in shape.

The plan: I'll probably start with doing stretches on a more consistent basis, walking the dog, and swimming a couple times a week. The exercise bike is also good because it is non-impact. From there I plan to start running on a treadmill and lifting weights gradually.

The goal: I will lose 10 pounds or more a month, participate in another triathlon this summer, and complete the first marathon of my life in the summer or early fall. There, I've said it, now I HAVE to keep working toward these goals or I'll feel like a dork for even mentioning them (which is the whole point of this post). I'll probably write monthly updates on my progress.

Present weight: 250 pounds
Weight lost: uh, zero
Pounds to go: 60

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

getting your goals in writing is the first step... good luck!

 
At 1/03/2006, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

all the very best for you goal Mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter