Saturday, January 07, 2006

Something in My Teeth??


Cindy and I went out to breakfast with my former youth pastor. It was good to catch up on how things are going with him and encourage one another. I had one of my favorite dishes - Eggs Florentine Benedict. It is made with large fresh poached eggs, crisp bacon, steamed spinach, sliced tomato and hollandaise sauce on a grilled english muffin. We talked for at least an hour and I excused myself to visit the men's room. I glanced in the mirror and realized I had a rather significant piece of spinach caught between one of my front teeth and the smaller one next to it. Ugh! I couldn't believe I had been smiling and laughing for an hour without realizing it was there. It's bad enough with a piece of bread or dough, but at least that is light-colored. Nobody could miss dark green! So that's why the waitress was smiling so big when I answered "yes" to more coffee. How embarrassing!

God's Word is like a mirror. Without it we can live our lives thinking that we are doing fine, when in actuality there are adjustments that need to be made. When we spend quality time in the Word, God reveals to us the areas of our lives that need to be changed. I'd much prefer to look into the mirror of the Word and promptly make the adjustments instead of having my faults, obvious to everyone except me, be put on display. Thank God for His mercy and grace.

4 Comments:

At 1/07/2006, Blogger Erin said...

A mirror for those with the courage to look. It seems incomprehensible that I would notice the spinach, but instead of removing it, spend the time fixing my hair, which looked alright in the first place.

Sigh.

Spiritually, I do it all the time.

 
At 1/08/2006, Blogger Fred said...

Words to think about today. Nice post. Love the picture, too.

 
At 1/09/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

I hate it when i have stuff in my teeth and I don't know it!

Great Post... great pic!

 
At 1/09/2006, Blogger christina joy said...

I love Eggs Florentine Benedict too! It's my favorite!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter