Monday, January 16, 2006

'American Idol' Question

Okay, I hope I don't disappoint anyone, but this post really doesn't have any spiritual significance except the benefit of a merry heart and a big smile. I have a rather unique, some would say warped, sense of humor, and I have learned to "release" it slowly when interacting with people who do not know me very well yet. This post is simply based on a "what would you do" type question and may give you a brief sample of Mark D's humorous side. Be afraid...be very afraid.

I really don't watch much television, but I have to say that I am looking forward to tomorrow night when "American Idol" premieres (Pop Idol in some countries, other names elsewhere). I tend to lose interest after the auditions are over, but I get a big kick out of watching the reactions of Simon, Randy, and Paula to the "bad" auditions. I really hope that some of those are just pranks, but I have a feeling most are real. I know there is at least one radio show whose interns successfully staged a "joke" and managed to make it on the show. Anyway, my question is this: If you were competing to come up with the worst audition of all and you had to pick one song and perform it really, really bad, what would the song be? What would you wear? How would you act?

Here's mine:

I would do a retro type audition using a song from the 80's, complete with parachute pants, a 3/4 length sleeve shirt that says "Totally Awesome", and a mullet wig. I would sing "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby (1983) while doing the worst breakdancing possible (click HERE for a short sample of the song). I would work my hands in peek-a-boo fashion (covering my eyes and then uncovering, like you would with a baby) and would even try to "sing" the musical parts...

She blinded me with science (eeee eerrrr eeee eerrrr)
She blinded me...with science (da na na na)
Science!

But that's just me....What would YOU do?

6 Comments:

At 1/16/2006, Blogger tonymyles said...

I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred.

And I'd wear a cardigan.

 
At 1/16/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

That's funny...

I would sing "Staying Alive" with go go boots and a tie die shirt.

ps. I studied music in college and so I went with several of my friends to stand in line for HOURS to audition for American Idol. Let me just say that these girls had AMAZING voices and they didn't even get past the first round to audition in front of Paula and Simon... I think the whole thing is staged, but I agree, very funny!

 
At 1/17/2006, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

hahahaha that's really funny, and yes....bad!!!

We have Australian Idols here, and the audition process is equally as funny.

I would sing "Endless Love" and dance ballet with pick slippers and sunglasses.

 
At 1/18/2006, Blogger Mandy said...

I'm not sure what I would sing, but I do think those auditions are funny! The best part of American Idol even if it is staged.

I will say this...I went to Chicago to audition for Pop Stars which was kind of similar, and I heard and saw some really horrible auditions. I thought at the time they were authentic considering I heard these same people singing all night as we slept on the streets!

PS...this is Mandy...I've changed my display name for the time being!

 
At 1/18/2006, Blogger Mandy said...

Okay, I just checked out that song, and there is a whole new picture in my mind! Much funnier!

 
At 1/24/2006, Blogger Erin said...

So how bad would it be to admit that I like that song...??? LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter