Friday, January 20, 2006

Standing at a Crossroad

Tuesday morning I went to work and was informed that I was laid off along with one third of the company. It didn't come as a surprise. The company has been struggling and there had been two series of layoffs since August. Many others had quit. I was very happy there as far as the people and the environment go. The job itself did not involve nearly as much actual development as I had initially been led to believe, so I felt I was not growing professionally. I had considered looking for another job, but did not feel right about quitting. I wanted to be one of the ones who stuck with the company through good and bad. Now that I am laid off, I feel "released" to find something more tailored to what I want to do.

"More tailored to what I want to do" is an interesting concept. Ministry as a full-time job is still very much on my heart. I had one interview (tech job) already and as I drove to it I thought, "WHAT am I DOING????" Quite honestly I feel out of my element. I have to artificially psych myself up in order to show enthusiasm for technology. It is just something I do as a means of support. Helping people is where my heart is. I think the interview went well, but I was not very impressed with the person who would be my boss (not that it really matters). I trust my God. I know the steps of a righteous man are ordered of the Lord. I am confident in that and strong in the belief that God is my provider. I received the equivalent of five weeks of severance pay, so that certainly helps. However, I want to get something right away so that the five weeks of pay ends up being supplemental. We could certainly use the extra money right now to put toward work on the house that needs to be done.

Simply put, I want God's perfect will for my life. I would very much appreciate your prayers...that God would give me the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, and that He would enlighten the eyes of my understanding (Eph. 1:17,18). It says in Proverbs that the spirit of a man is the candle of the Lord. God leads us by giving us a "comfort" in our inward witness when something is His will and a "check" when something is not. I have been faithful at my previous job. I never complained, always gave 110%, did my work as unto the Lord, went above and beyond what was expected of me, and witnessed to people as the Lord led me. I think about that movie "Karate Kid" every now and then. I consider much of my secular work to be "waxing the car" and "painting the fence". I know someday all that I have learned will come together. Thanks very much for your blog-friendship and your prayers.

9 Comments:

At 1/20/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

My verse for this week was Nahum 1:7, with your tough week, hopefully it will be a good to hear.

The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him. Nahum 1:7

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers Mark.

 
At 1/21/2006, Blogger Mandy said...

I pray that He guides your every step, and leads you into provision for your family and your destiny. May He give you much opportunity to show His love and compassion for others.
May you comprehend the width, length, depth and the heigth of His love for you--love that passes understanding.

You have been an encouragement to me.
Mandy

 
At 1/21/2006, Blogger christina joy said...

i will certainly be praying for you. i know how hard it can be to lose a job no matter how unfulfilling it was. and i know about feeling unfulfilled too. i felt that way for too long and it was progressive; it not only didn't get better, it got worse. i had to do something different. i am not suggesting you move to Alaska like me, i am just suggesting you find something that will fill your heart with joy, that you look forward to when you get out of bed every morning. it makes all the difference in the world.

thanks for your blog-friendship as well. it has meant a lot.

 
At 1/21/2006, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Dear Mark, It's fantastic that you have such a great heart to help people. Am sure you can do that wherever you are, and whatever job you'll be in.

It's be wonderful being your blog-friend. God Bless!

 
At 1/22/2006, Blogger Fred said...

Sorry to hear of the news, Mark. Best of luck as you begin a new journey.

 
At 1/23/2006, Blogger audrey` said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Jesus cares for you Mark.

 
At 1/24/2006, Blogger Stephanie said...

Praying for you!

 
At 1/24/2006, Blogger Erin said...

Funny how scary it can be to be released to pursue our dreams...

Praying peace and wisdom over your household...

 
At 1/25/2006, Blogger tonymyles said...

Love the Karate Kid illustration... stay true, Daniel-son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter