Sunday, February 26, 2006

Checking In

I want to thank all my blog friends who sent comments and/or email this past week. Your encouragement and support have meant a great deal to me. Those of you whose blogs I regularly read probably know I have been scarce and have some catching up to do. I am more exhausted than I have been in four years, so my blog reading and posting has slipped a bit. Believe me, I miss reading your blogs tremendously and will get up to speed shortly.

Last Monday was only my third day at my new job, but my supervisor as well as the president showed an amazing amount of understanding regarding the situation with my dad. They allowed me to take time off on Monday to go to the hospital and arrange for my dad's care. They simply said I could make up the time later in the week. My dad's doctor recommended either a nursing home or hospice with home care. We all felt the latter was better and my dad has definitely felt the decision was a good one. I signed papers for him Monday afternoon and spent Monday evening moving furniture out of his bedroom so the hospice company could bring in a hospital bed, oxygen machine, and so forth. He was discharged from the hospital Tuesday afternoon and I could tell he was quite glad to be home. It was hard to try to move him around on the bed. He was in so much pain that every little movement made him cry out, but he kept complaining about his body being crooked and twisted. It was a lose-lose situation. Despite his extreme weight loss it was still not a small task to move him. He can barely move his legs and sometimes looks underneath the sheets to see if they are still there. The cancer must be so bad in his spine that it is affecting nerves and feeling. The home care people are changing his diapers as well as rotating him every couple of hours to prevent bed sores. He was in extreme pain Tuesday night and Wednesday, but Thursday and Friday were better. I worked more hours those days and then went straight over to my parents' house to stay by his side. Yesterday and today my dad has been on a much higher dosage of morphine, so he has been drifting in and out of consciousness. My brother came into town this weekend so the whole family was able to spend time around my dad's bed. We talked about various things and every once in a while my dad would open his eyes and contribute to the conversations. Sometimes it made sense, sometimes it didn't, but we were all together. I have been sleep deprived and even fell asleep at the wheel this morning, but fortunately there were no oncoming cars when I drifted to the other side of the road. I just pumped myself full of more coffee and stayed by my dad's side all day. I feel like the weekend should just be starting for me, but it's already over. Oh well. I won't get another chance to say goodbye, so it all is worth it.

7 Comments:

At 2/27/2006, Blogger Mandy said...

Mark, May He grant you Divine strength and might deep within your inner man by the power of the Spirit residing inside you. May you rest in Him during this time, for He is able to sustain you.

You are faithful, and the Father's heart is pleased. His light shines through you like a beacon.

Much love, my friend.
Mandy

 
At 2/27/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

Wow... what strength... prayers for you Mark!

 
At 2/27/2006, Blogger Fred said...

Congrats on the new job.

So sorry to hear about your dad. It must be very difficult.

 
At 2/27/2006, Blogger Erin said...

Praying too. For strength and peace. For all the details you need for closure. And for wisdom in taking care of yourself during this time.

Don't worry about us feeling neglected ;) We'll be here.

 
At 2/28/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm...first thing I have to say is please, get some sleep. (Sorry, it's part of my conditioning now...falling asleep at the wheel - not good - kind of hurts actually).

Anyway, your job sounds like a good place for you to be right now, I like that they've been so understanding.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matt.11:28-30

 
At 3/01/2006, Blogger christina joy said...

i am so sorry about all you're going through. i know it can be tough and exhausting but, like you said, it is SO worth it. i wouldn't trade the last week and a half i spent by mother's hospital bed almost 6 years ago for anything.

 
At 3/01/2006, Blogger Patti said...

Mark,
I'm praying for you and your family. Especially for your dad-that he will meet his Lord in the time set by God before he was born. Every day of his life has been ordained by God. Even the day he goes home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter