Thursday, May 11, 2006

Getting to Know You...

I do not watch secular television all that often, but when I do, here are the main programs that interest me (I realize this is quite the eclectic list):

Good Eats with Alton Brown
Planet's Funniest Animals
American Idol
UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships)
Inside the Actors Studio with James Lipton

The last show fascinates me because I like to hear about how actors have studied their craft and how they got to where they are. No, I can't say I am interested in being famous, but I am goal-oriented and like to hear how people overcame adversity on the way to their goals. At the end of the show James Lipton asks 10 questions. The answers reveal quite a bit about the subject's thoughts, feelings, and beliefs. I thought I'd ask them here to find out more about those of you who visit my blog. I'll also share my own answers for whoever is interested. I took out two of the questions (favorite curse word and what we want God to say to us at the pearly gates). Here goes:

1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
4. What turns you off?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
8. What profession would you not like to do?

Here are my answers:

1. love
2. can't
3. music, the Bible, laughter
4. people who mock others or limit their individuality
5. ocean waves
6. the squeak made by two pieces of stiff white styrofoam being rubbed together
7. pastor
8. proctologist

Your turn...

15 Comments:

At 5/11/2006, Blogger Nephos said...

I'll have to admit I too enjoy this show (depending on who's interviewed). Still, these questions take some thought.

1. Relationship
2. Chaos
3. Music, spiritual growth, courage
4. Arrogance
5. Voices of my two sons.
6. The squealer on worn brake pads.
7. Archaeologist/Historian
8. Septic tank cleaner

Wow, that was tougher than you would think. Great idea, Mark.

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger jel said...

this is hard,
1.Awesome
2.Hate
3.music, listening to people,
4.put downs
5. Rain hitting a tin roof
6. fingernails going down the chalk borad!
got to think about the last 2!

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger Gordon said...

1. Supper
2. Never
3. Music, conflict, observation
4. Close-mindedness
5. Frogs at the pond
6. People making food noises
7. Meteorologist
8. Roofer

This was a challenge. On a side note, Will Farrell does a pretty good imitation of Lipton.

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger jel said...

I thought of the last 2

7. a caregiver
8. over the road truck driver
I don't see how they do it?

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger Curious Servant said...

1. Peace
2. Hate
3. Nature
4. Rudeness
5. A baby's laugh
6. animal dying in pain
7. astronomer
8. A yes man to an evil corporate exec.


Thanks

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger Mark D said...

You all are awesome. I realize this was tough, but your answers are great!!!

I wanted to clarify my least favorite word - can't. I'm thinking in the context of "You can't do that, it's impossible." It has nothing to do with can't when it comes to breaking rules or breaking the law. I have a spirit that dares to dream, not a rebellious spirit. Just thought I'd make sure you all knew that. Probably the better choice would have been to use the word "impossible."

Gordon, Will Farrell cracks me up when he does James Lipton. He's so good at doing James he's better than James himself. ;)

 
At 5/12/2006, Blogger Godwyn Lim said...

I never watch the show before, I don't think it is screened in Singapore channels, I hardly watch television programs but I do follow C.S.I:-)

Really Hard questions with my thrown in answers:

1. Jesus
2. Maybe
3. Good Sermons, Inspiring Music
4. Insolenet individuals
5. A gentle thunder
6. My Mum's Nagging
7. Pastor
8. Senseless Capitalist

 
At 5/12/2006, Blogger Erin said...

Proctologist! You crack me up...

I'll give it a go:
1. zephyr
2. stupid
3. colour, texture, sound
4. indifference
5. water sounds- rain/waves
6. arrogant boasting
7. artist
8. assembly line worker

 
At 5/12/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Grace
2. Dominant
3. Seeing God at work in a clever way.
4. Stupid, rude, disrespectful, and/or legalistic "Christians"
5. Kade's laughter
6. Kade's crying
7. Licensed Professional Counselor
8. Animal Control/Plumber/Roadkill Removal

 
At 5/14/2006, Blogger karen said...

1. Mom..when my kids say it.
2. enemy
3. gifts and talents
4. indifference
5. My family's voices
6. The tinnitus sounds in my head
7. I love what I do
8. Mortician

 
At 5/14/2006, Blogger God's Woman said...

1. Dandelion
2. submit
3. gardens, children
4. arrogance definitely, in all forms
5. ocean waves
6. fighting-verbal and physical
7. Detective
8. telemarketer

 
At 5/14/2006, Blogger christina joy said...

1. love, words that make up really great metaphors
2. should (I should have done this or that or my life should be different...), hate
3. music, love, authenticity, those who live transparently
4. shallowness, arrogance
5. laughter, wind, rushing river, thunder, "I love you."
6. my alarm clock
7. teacher, ministry, fbi agent, criminologist/forensics
8. bomb technician

 
At 5/22/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

Oh my gosh, I got so excited when I read your list, and then I got even more excited when your entry was about Inside the Actor's studio... I LOVE that show!

Ok, yeah!

1. dude
2. discharge
3. music
4. chatter
5. guitar
6. nails down a chalkboard
7. children's book writer

Great post Mark!

 
At 5/22/2006, Blogger Aim Claim said...

oh forgot the last one...

8. gynocologist

 
At 6/12/2006, Blogger melinda m said...

Not much on the boob tube here either.
here goes my list...
1. JESUS
2. hate
3. God-inspired art,souls harvested,ditto
4. flesh stuff
5. my baby's coos & giggles
6. whining
7. traveling evangelist/apostle
8. homeschool mom.....okay, okay, I'm learning to like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter