Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ethiopia 2009 - Pt. 4

Lunch on Monday was a treat for me. I just happened to get to sit by someone famous. Probably not many in Addis know his name, and maybe only a handful of people in the States, but trust me, Heaven knows his name. He is the director of Hope for the Hopeless street ministry and orphanage. For several minutes our conversation centered on how we might be able to get Jay's leg treated. Yes, sometimes God heals instantaneously, but sometimes His healing power promotes recovery (which implies a process). The recovery might be through a doctor's hand one time and without a doctor's hand another. My knee doctor referred to my ACL reconstruction as his "best work" and I know the Reason why. I believe, regardless of how or through whose hands, Jay will fully recover. Bottom line, I wanted to see how I could get him into the care of God-directed hands. After that discussion, I complimented him on his care of the kids. There are ditches on both sides of the caregiver road. One side is overly permissive where the kids have no boundaries. The other is a dictatorship. Judging by the kids' good behavior and their willingness to reach out and show love, the director has found the perfect balance between the two sides. It can't be easy when those kids likely come under his care with baggage. Not only does he care for them and love them, but he has sacrificed for them. When the economic downturn happened in the States, he lost half of his support. He had to move his family out of his home and live with his in-laws in order to keep providing for the kids. Construction projects at the orphanage came to a grinding halt. Whoever ends up sponsoring the shelter and/or orphanage can rest assured that the kids could not have a better director. As I mentioned before, there is no doubt this guy is famous in Heaven, and I count it an honor to have had some time with him.

After lunch we went back to the Hope for the Hopeless orphanage where we had briefly visited Saturday night. This time we had several hours to visit. We handed out many gifts and supplies, such as hats, soccer balls, candy, coloring books, shoes...the list goes on. I spent some more time with the 17 yr old boy I had met previously until he participated in a soccer game with other boys and some of our group. I then walked around and loved on as many of the children as I could. Toward the end of the day, we were provided a snack of popcorn and coffee, then the children sang for us, and us for them. Then, just as before, we were showered with hugs, kisses, and I love you's as we headed to the vans and left. The van I was in was completely silent on the way home because it was merely our bodies present. Our minds and our hearts were still with those precious, beautiful children.

3 Comments:

At 4/30/2009, Anonymous Leslie Hutsler said...

Those children ARE so precious and beautiful. My hearts just aches for them.

Thanks for sharing these powerful testimonies. Can't wait to hear more!

 
At 4/30/2009, Blogger MaineMom said...

I'm really hoping Erin's church will sponsor this fantastic place. I love Fekadu and everything that he stands for!

 
At 4/30/2009, Blogger Erin Moore said...

Great post! I loved this place as well!

I have tried to instill in my children to judge people based on God's standards, not Hollywood's or anyone elses. This makes orphans the most prestigious people to share your time with. I consider it a great honor to have been in their presence all week - and would have rather have been with those precious children than with "the rich and famous".

Thank you for this great post. My pastor is bringing this to our elder board next week, please pray that they will allow us to move forward! I am so excited to be able to go back to HFTH and spend time with these children again!

Mark, it's funny, I was thinking about you on the way to work this morning. ..you love people the way that I helps me see a glimpse of Jesus' love for people. Thank you for that. I admire your compassion!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter