Monday, November 28, 2005

Memorial Stone #3 - Here I Am

My 6th grade year (I turned 12 that year) was significant for two reasons. First, there were a couple college students who led worship for the 6th grade Sunday school class. One played a guitar and I absolutely loved watching him play. It distracted me from singing sometimes, but in a good way. The music was refreshing, uplifting, and energetic. I mentioned to my parents that I would like a guitar, but the request seemed to fall on deaf ears. Finally, I made one out of a board, a tissue box, and rubber bands. A couple weeks of playing that and they bought me a real one. My sole purpose for wanting to learn was so that I could glorify God with it in praise and worship, just like the college student. I took lessons for a while and wrote my first worship song later that year. I got to play and sing it a year later at a graduation dinner and it was a wonderful experience.

The other significant thing that year came as a result of reading a book. Actually, it was two books that tell two sides of the same story. They are "The Cross and the Switchblade" by David Wilkerson and "Run Baby Run" by Nicky Cruz. It was while reading those books that I first felt a call to commit my life to helping people. It is very hard to explain, but I just wanted to be in the trenches and help rescue people. My heart's cry at 12 years old was simply, "Here am I, Lord, send me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter